What are the best ways to enrich Adventure Travel for you and your companions? Experienced travelers pick up tricks along the way, and I encourage you to add your own to the list. Below are seven ways that visitors to Cape Breton Island have increased their enjoyment of the journey, their stay on the Island and even the magic in their daily lives upon returning home. Notice the common ingredient is connection.
1. A Vision For Your Trip gives your adventure travel a context of what you would appreciate looking back on as a reference point of you being energized, connected with yourself and your environment, a juicy moment that can re-energize everyday life. For Aladdin, it’s a ride on a magic carpet, while for me it is taking a hike with my wife to find a waterfall.
2. A Great Destination: What place engages your sense of curiosity, your sense of where you and your companion(s) would like to explore and even settle in for a time? Many cultures call this developing a “sense of place”.
3 Knowledgeable Local Guides: By guides I mean people who know an adventure destination and are generous and passionate about sharing their knowledge and experience. They may actually escort you on a trip or simply educate you on places off the beaten track, things to do, where to eat or sleep, and where to visit in order to discover special spots mentioned above–to develop your own “sense of place”. These guides can offer a local connection embodying their passion and enthusiasm–they show an adventurous spirit which is joyful, even contagious. Guides offer a connection to local people, places and adventures. They offer you safety and useful information and recommendations.
4. Unique Gatherings The native Mi’kmaq on Cape Breton Island call gatherings “Mao I Omi” and the French call them “place de rencontre” and the Celts “Ceilidhs” (often involving music and dance). What you will find is that meeting other people and sharing your experiences, adventures and stories is a way to feel part of things, to live your adventures and enjoy others’ “magical experiences”, gifts and talents. Local gatherings, events and ceremonies are designed to create connection between people, a sense of “magic”, and the gift of good memories.
5. “An Adventure a Day (mild to wild)” By adventure, I mean something that has a degree of freshness and challenge to you even if you are accomplished at it. It does not have to be hiking up a wilderness trail or rock climbing, it can be as seemingly mild as learning a new recipe from an expert chef or discovering a blueberry patch ripe for the picking with most of the blueberries consumed on the spot and the rest put into a tasty blueberry pie! Easy as it is to overload your travel, with a list of things to do, consider focusing on “an adventure a day”, whether mild, wild or somewhere in between.
6. A Higher Purpose (Through Service and Learning) Besides recreation why travel? And is the adventure travel most significant only for you and your companion(s)? Having a Higher Purpose often adds to the experience and gets you past temporary discomfort and obstacles. One current purpose is what I call the “Green Theme” for adventure travel. Many of us experience what some call a nature deficit disorder (c/o author John Louv) and notice it in our children and others’ children. What happens when you connect with nature–trees, open space, birds and other animals–is a sense of connection not only with nature but with yourself. It gives you a different perspective and often a burst of energy, whether in a city, the country or a wilderness and unspoiled setting. Related to this “connection” with nature is an increasing desire and awareness of the fragile balance between ourselves and nature. Many volunteers and adventure travelers are seeking to stay in places that waste less and encourage use of renewable energy, as well tend to respect and preserve natural areas or at least to do no harm. For campers the expression is to “leave not a trace”. The goal increasingly becomes to be “of service” and to have a higher purpose in adventure travel: one of enjoying and preserving the green around you. The higher purpose for the trip can extend to any number of special areas of adventure and possible learning:, the arts, outdoor recreation, re-building after a hurricane,, team-building, ie is any activity for which you have a passion and can become part of your adventure travel. The goal is to create a result in you or in your environment that is useful and has significance.
7. Well-being, health and safety Find a place and be with people fostering a sense “well-being” or wellness.. After all, our normal routine is often full of work, obligations and, frankly, stress. Have you made space for “healing arts” or what some call “wellness” in your travel plan? Make sure you have enough time and knowledge to not only travel safely, but to catch your breath and to regenerate. Testing Your Brand of Magic in Adventure Travel You are the adventurer, judge and jury. The feeling and experience of the “Magic” is yours and it may be a different experience for your companion(s), but a good rule of thumb is to ask yourself if you have some stories and memories and even pictures or video that capture some of the juice, energy and enthusiasm of the magic you created during your travel. Spread this spirit of magic upon your return home and the magic will continue.
It certainly would not be an exaggeration if it is said that it is difficult to find anyone who is not interested in traveling! There are many people who also find great pleasure in ‘adventure travel’ and take it as lightly as an evening walk. As the name itself indicates, adventure travel is a trip that provides an unusual and exciting experience to the traveler seeking adventures. There are a great many kind of experiences that fall under the category of adventure travel – cultural journeys, expeditions, wildlife adventures, and active adventures to name a few.
One who wishes to go on an adventure travel may certainly have a very clear picture of what kind of adventure he plans to take on. You can plan it on your own but it can take a lot of time and a lot more confusing than you can imagine. To make things easier and to make the travel comfortable, the best option would be to approach a good travel agent. The thrill and excitement that you would get on your trip will be numerous and the trip all the more enjoyable.
You can find several adventure travel agencies ready to serve but the wisdom lies in choosing a professional travel agent or company. Professional guidance helps the traveler obtain personal satisfaction.
There are several reasons which speak in favor of a good adventure travel agent or travel companies. A good agency is one which organizes everything perfectly for the traveler. They usually arrange for a tour leader who is well aware of the place, the customs of the people and any specific problems associated with the area, if any. There are many of us who will be traveling alone because we are unable to find a good companion. In such instances, seeking the help of a good agent will provide us with ready-made traveling companions. A good agency aims at the personal satisfaction of the travelers that come to them. Many travel agencies try to lure customers by offering discounts, but discounts sometimes mean cutting on the services offered. Cheap vacation packages would only rob you of comfort which is normally provided to the traveler. A good travel agent is always there for the traveler in case of a problem or if something unfortunate goes wrong.
Seeking the help of the adventure travel specialist saves a lot of time and money since they undertake the arrangements like transportation, early bookings on discounts in hotels and resorts, domestic and international travel. They also provide the required help with passport and visa applications. In short, they cater to all the needs of the traveler.
The professional background of the adventure travel agent enables the traveler to get an idea whether or not the agent is trained well and can make his trip a pleasant, thrilling, comfortable and exciting one. A professional agency has its personnel trained in business management and tourism or their personnel must pass a course with the Institute of the Certified Travel Agents.
You often hear people talking about adventure travel and that makes you wonder as to what adventure travel actually is. It is something by which u can add adventure and fun to your life. So before going for an adventure travel, you must know what it is. Adventure travel doesn’t mean that you have to endanger your life for your trip to be called adventurous!
The term adventurous is a concept that is not defined physically when you talk about adventure travel. This concept is defined psychologically. Different people have different definitions of adventure. Earlier adventure travel meant going abroad or just traveling to different places. However, its definition has changed today. Adventure travel is when you experience an event rather than being a mere spectator in your travels. It is actually living in the present and experiencing the place and not just sight seeing.
Adventure is different for everyone. What may appear adventurous to you could be totally boring for someone. And that is reason that there are so many options available if you want to go for adventure travel. You can choose the one which suits you, and more importantly the one which excites you! White water rafting or kayaking can be fun for someone. On the other hand camping in an interesting place can de defined as adventurous by some people. Hot air balloon ride may sound boring to you but it can be the perfect adventure travel for some.
Adventure travel is when you get yourself involved in an enthralling experience. It includes boating, kayaking, hiking, sky diving, mountain climbing, scuba diving, sailing, bicycling and much more! You should not indulge yourself into any form of adventure travel in which you are not comfortable. The level of risk in your travel is defined by you just like term adventure is defined individually. Adventure travel is getting yourself engaged into a new experience but make sure that you are totally comfortable in what you are doing.
You can choose a tour if you wish to go for adventure travel. Such adventure travel tours are available for couples and families. But don’t worry in case you are single, adventure tours are also available for you. So you can make a plan for an adventure tour. You can choose a tour which suits you best. These tours usually have two groups of people. One group goes on sight seeing and visits their areas of interest, whereas the other group involves itself in adventurous activities. Of course the type of activity depends on the tour which you have selected.
Despite much negative talk about what seems to be a now overused word, ‘recession’, the adventure travel and luxury travel sectors are fast growing segments of the travel market. Regardless of this I think many travel agents are still unsure how to approach this growing market. The term ‘adventure holiday’ cries out for a personal service. After all my perfect adventure might be your hell! The concept of personal service is further complicated since many potential travellers often don’t really know what they want out of an adventure travel experience. The solution? Know what adventure travel really is, search out what you want to do and dare I say it – ‘be your own travel agent’!
So, what exactly is adventure travel?
There is still a preconceived idea that adventure holidays are solely about high impact active experiences such as battling white water rapids, rock climbing or abseiling down a cliff face. This may be true to a point but adventure travel goes much deeper than this and can encompass a huge range of options with a cultural, wildlife and more easy going flavour.
Adventure travels involve exploration or travel to remote and more exotic destinations as opposed to an experience exclusively for the adrenaline junkie. If you intentionally step outside the box and choose to go further afield, deliberately looking for new experiences in otherwise unfamiliar off-the-beaten track territories then adventure travel is in your heart.
Many would wrongly associate adventure travels with ‘roughing it’ when in reality it can be about distinctive accommodation and surroundings that reflect the locality and culture, something that is comfortable and character driven as opposed to opulent style and luxury.
Adventure travel can offer rest and relaxation, stimulation and variety, inspiration and well earned treats as well as high quality and safe expedition environments for family trips.
So why is the adventure travel market expanding?
Escapism is a key factor! More and more people who are dissatisfied with their current situation and negatively affected by the economic downturn are looking for travel experiences that will inspire and invigorate them. Adventure travel is certainly personally rewarding and time spent in nature is a remedy for dissatisfaction, frustration and boredom.
Another reason also linked to the economic climate is that adventure travel can now combine with activities and voluntary work in local community projects. This, together with the group one often travels with on an adventure travel experience can provide an opportunity to develop social experiences, new skills and knowledge which can relate to an individual’s career often providing travellers with a competitive edge on their return.
And so to the final question – if travel agents are failing to provide the kind of personal service required for such an experience then how should you go about an adventure travel experience?
The first thing you could do is practise. Allow yourself to go out and get lost! You’ll be surprised what you’ll find out there when you don’t plan anything.
You can subscribe to outdoor adventure magazines and subscriber based newsletters to get a feel of what is out there, how it all works and what would suit you.
The most effective tool you have is the web. There is so much information out there in cyber space on the big wide world and how you can explore it! The whole point of ‘adventure’ travel is to have an ‘adventure’ so you could take the bull by the horns and plan your own adventure holiday by using the growing number of information portals (like the Best of Zambia) that aim to give you everything you need to provide yourself with your own personal service.
Finally, if that thought is way too scary then there are a number of top quality adventure travel tour operators who can help you – and they are not your standard high street travel agents who usually only provide off the shelf, over done and commercialised experiences.